Detailed Timeline for the 2014 Summer Program
● Depart from New York City for Acajutla, El Salvador
● Program meeting and welcome event in El Salvador
● Board the Peace Boat in Acajutla, El Salvador
● Begin classroom discussion and visit local communities as a cultural exchange program
● Visit local youth groups and exchange ideas about the UN Sustainable development goals, indigenous identity and youth leadership
● Evening workshops onboard the Peace Boat
● Departure from El Salvador for the next port of Nicaragua
● Arrival to the Port in Corinto, Nicaragua
● A Cultural exchange with youth through activities focused on local development, community leadership and education will be held during the day.
● Peace Boat will depart the port of Corinto in the evening to sail towards Panama.
● Onboard workshops, lectures and group discussions will be held daily.
● Participants will join a variety of events held by Guest Educators and Peace Boat staff members
● Travel through the Panama Canal will take place during one full day onboard the ship
● Students will have the unique opportunity to visit a local Embera Indigenous community in Panama
● A two day homestay program will be organized in the community for students to engage with youth
● Topics of study will include the history of indigenous communities, sustainable development and cultural identity
● Students will participate in a debriefing session with Peace Boat staff members
● Pariticpants will travel to Panama City to spend one evening before their return flight home to New York.